Tue, Apr 05|
UC California Naturalist Course
Become a trained Naturalist and Community Scientist ready to take an active role in natural resource conservation, education, and restoration. You'll develop a naturalist lens to better understand local ecology and become equipped to interpret naturalist concepts for and from diverse perspectives.
Time & Location
Apr 05, 2022, 4:00 PM PDT – Jun 07, 2022, 6:00 PM PDT
About the Event
The UC California Naturalist Program (CalNat) seeks to foster a committed corps of volunteer naturalists and community scientists trained and ready to take an active role in natural resource conservation, education, and restoration. The UC California Naturalist course will introduce you to the wonders of our local ecology and engage you in the stewardship of California’s natural communities. The course will combine a science curriculum with guest lecturers, field trips and project-based learning to immerse you in the natural world. This UC California Naturalist Course will focus on the Los Angeles Area and the interpretation of naturalist concepts for and from diverse perspectives.
April 5 - June 7
Class meets online every Tuesday from 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
*The course will meet virtually and include many opportunities for self-guided activties in nature.*
Lead Instructor: Maya Morales
Course Administrator: Celeste Gasperik
Instructors: Julio Soria, Kelly Bailey
& Featuring Special Guest Speakers
$310.00 + $35.00 Materials
Scholarship Application Requirements
The UC California Naturalist Program offers scholarships to attend the UC California Naturalist Course at a reduced fee of $255.00. Upon receiving a scholarship, the recipient will receive a code to register for the course at the reduced fee. The space in the course is not confirmed until the student has registered and paid the reduced course fee. The student is responsible for the purchase of the required course materials: the California Naturalist Handbook ($35.00). Scholarships are available to individuals who demonstrate financial need or full-time student status. To apply for a scholarship please send a letter as a PDF attachment to email@example.com that describes financial need or full-time student status. Please provide evidence of full-time student status or financial need by including proof of student enrollment for full-time students or a description of financial hardship for those with financial need.
Course Contact Information
- Understand what it means to be a naturalist
- Understand the cultural factors that make California’s natural history and ecology unique, with a focus on the ecosystems of greater Los Angeles and the ecosystem of the L.A. Watershed.
- Demonstrate skills in making and recording natural history observations in a field notebook and on iNaturalist.
- Demonstrate skills in communicating and interpreting natural resource information for and from diverse perspectives.
- Apply knowledge of the local ecosystems to regional and global environmental issues.
- Contact Time: 40 educational hours (online classroom hours and front-loaded independent work), which includes a minimum of 8 independent hours in the field.
- Required Reading: Read the entire book “The California Naturalist Handbook” and completed front-loaded “prep work” before each class.
- Class Attendance and Self-Guided Field Trip
- Capstone Project
- Using a Field Notebook and Journal
- Class Community Science Project
Upon completion of this course, students are eligible to receive 4 academic credits at additional cost.
Registrants may cancel up to two weeks before the first day of instruction for a full refund, minus a $50 administrative fee. Registrants that can successfully refer another student to replace their spot in the course prior to the first day of class will receive a full refund. Registrants that experience a verifiable medical emergency personally, or in their family, between the two weeks of class before and after instruction has begun may re-enroll in the following year's course at a 50% discounted rate, with priority for early registration. No other cancellations, for any other reason, will result in a refund.
For questions about accessibility and general inquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Must be 18 and over for this training
- Ticket type
CalNat Course ConfirmationPrice$310.00Sold Out
This event is sold out