Sat, May 13|
Near the King Drew High School flagpole
WLP Coastal Transit to Trails: Laying Low at Humaliwo Lagoon
Looking to connect with our California coast, then join Community Nature Connection and Women's Leadership Project for a Transit to Trails program from King Drew High School to Malibu Lagoon State Beach on Saturday, May 13, 20223 from 8:30am-4:10pm !
Time & Location
May 13, 8:30 AM – 4:10 PM
Near the King Drew High School flagpole, 1601 E 120th St, Los Angeles, CA 90059, USA
About the Event
Please give yourself about 5-10 minutes to read the following
Meet up location: King Drew High School flagpole at 8:30am
What the Day Will Look Like:
- Upon arrival, CNC and WLP staff will check-in folks and have guardians sign waivers, if not signed already. Once everyone is gathered, we will dive into an ice breaker. We will then board our bus and make our way to Malibu Lagoon State Beach, which will take about 1.5 hours (traffic pending). The bus will drop us off at the Malibu Lagoon State Beach, during our walk to the site, we ask folks to be alert and stay close to the group because we will be strolling through a populated area. Please bring a mask to use during our bus ride to and from King Drew.
- Once we get to Malibu Lagoon, Bree Salazar, CNC Transit to Trail Lead Naturalist will welcome us to the site: its history and importance—why Malibu Lagoon is an vital place for humans, plants, and animals—and lead us into an ice breaker to practice keen observation with a fun Loteria game, where Program Coordinator Zee Zetino, will distribute loteria cards. Our stroll along Malibu Lagoon will consist of a concrete and dirt path, and eventually stepping off a wood plank to get on the sand. If low tides allow, we might be able to explore the tide pools of Malibu Lagoon State Beach. Please note rocks in the tidepool area will be slippery, so in order to have a joyful experience, we recommend bringing closed toe shoes that are comfortable and okay to get wet. We will then proceed with lunch. followed with a poetry by the ocean activity, where you will get to create your very own haiku!
- After our ocean poetry activity, at around 1:20pm we will clean up and gather all of our belongings and wrap up to head back to the entrance of Malibu to board our bus and head back to King Drew High School.
We expect Malibu Lagoon to be mostly sunny and pleasant with a high of 70° and low temperatures at 59° as the day gets cooler (subject to change), so please layer up with thin layers that can easily be added or removed (think of layers like an onion)!
What to Bring:
A nice filling lunch, closed toe shoes, enough water, a backpack to carry your belongings, a blanket/towel to sit on, and curiosity for the ocean and wetlands.
- Please arrive near the flagpole at KD on time (5-10 mins early) to ensure that you are able to board the bus and join us.
- We will be together from 8:30am-4:10pm (approximately 7 hours)
- Wear comfortable/close-toed shoes (We will be strolling along a trail for 2 hours)
- Your shoes may get wet and sandy if we are able to explore the tide pools
- Bring proper layers for weather that can range from; sunny and warm to protect you from UV sun rays; to cloudy and chilly to keep you nice and warm
- CNC recommends entering the water only up to your ankles; to be safe and comfortable for the rest of the day
- CNC is not responsible if you choose to submerge yourself in the water. It is up to your own discretion and comfort
- There will be a lifeguard on duty in case of an emergency
- Be prepared to be/move around sand for most of our time at Malibu Lagoon State Beach
If you have any access needs to make your trip as comfortable as possible or if you need to communicate anything to CNC staff to ensure a pleasurable experience during our Transit to Trails, please reach out to our Program Coordinator Zee Zetino, firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com as soon as possible.
Please familiarize yourself with the following: